If you are waiting for an important text message, but can’t keep an eye on your phone, you probably rely on sound notifications, but what happens if they are not working? Getting sound alerts letting you known when a text is received can be very convenient, but there may be cases when these notifications are not working on your iOS device. In this guide, we will find out how to fix the problem to get sound notifications on your iPhone 5,6, 6S and above and on your iPad Air, iPad 2 and other models.
Fixing notification issues
If you are not getting sound notifications on your iOS device and you are not being alerted about incoming text messages, you can follow the below steps to get the issue resolved.
- The first thing you need to do is to check that the Do Not Disturb option is not turned on. This could be the reason why you are not getting sound notifications. You can go to Settings and if the Do Not Disturb option is enabled, you can disable it. You just need to move the slide to the Off position.
- It is also worth checking that the Do Not Disturb option is not enabled for specific contacts. You can go to the Messages app and check if there is a moon sign on the messages. If that is the case, the Do Not Disturb option is turned on for that particular contact. You can start getting sound notifications again by tapping Details and disabling the option.
- Now tap Settings, then Notifications and select Messages. Check if “Allow Notifications” is enabled.
- Check the mute switch (ring or silent) on your iOS device. If you have an iPhone, you can find the switch on the left hand side of your device. In the iPad, the mute switch is located on the right side of the device. In order to get sound notifications, the mute button shouldn’t be turned on. You will need to push the Ring/Silent” switch to the “Ring” position.
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button until you see the slider. Slide it and restart your iPhone/iPad.
- Hold down the home button and the power button (wake/sleep) at the same time until you see the Apple device. This will reset the device.
- Launch the Messages app. Then press the home button twice, go to the Messages app and swipe up to close the app. Then open it again. You should now be able to get sound notifications without issues.