Modern cameras, mobile phones and other devices have made things so much easier when it comes to taking photos. No matter where you are, you can capture images and videos that can be shared with friends and family via email or social media. The problem is that over time, all these images are accumulated and end up taking a lot of space on your device. An effective way to save space and to be able to email the photos or post them online without complications, is to compress them. You can use photo editing software to compress the images, or you can simply use Microsoft Word. In any case, the process will only take a few steps. We will check the two methods that you can try to compress your photos. Let’s start with the steps required to compress images with Image Editing Software.
How to compress photos with image editing software
- Open the photo that you want to compress in your photo editing software
- Go to the file menu available in your photo editing software and select Save As or Save.
- Click on the Options button that is available in the pop-up menu.
- Then, select the High Compression option that appears in the photo compression section of the menu.
- In the encryption, select Lossless Encoding to preserve the photo’s integrity.
- Choose OK and then select the Save button. The photo will be compressed and saved in your computer.
Keep in mind that is you save the image as a JPEG, the quality may be affected so you need to protect the photo as it is compressed. To avid quality loss, it is advisable to save the photo in a format that is not JPEG. You may use GIF, BMP, TIF or PNG.
It is advisable to select the Save As option always, in order to create a compressed version without impacting the original.
How to compress photos with Microsoft Word
- Open Microsoft Word to launch a new Word document.
- Select the Insert tab on the top left side of the screen
- You will see a list of options. Select the picture icon there.
- Next, a list of files on your computer will appear. Here, you need to select the picture file that you want to compress. Just click twice on it. The image will be added to your document.
- Select the image and then return to the Insert tab and in the menu, select Compress Pictures.
- A pop-screen will appear, asking you if you want to Apply Compression Settings now. You can select OK, to accept the pre-determined settings, or select Options, which allows you to select the quality of the photo compression. You just need to select the boxes next to your preferred options and then, you can press the OK button.
- Once you save the document, the photo will be compressed.
To remove the excess of white space around the image, you have to modify the size of the document. You can adjust the size to make it the same as the photo, or as close to it as possible. In order to d this, you first need to select the Page Layout tab that is located at the top of the Microsoft Word screen. Then, click on the Size icon. Select your custom paper size and save the document.
Alternatively you can online compression tools such as https://smallseotools.com/image-compression/ although most have a limit on the size your image or photo can be
Photo compression is a simple process and it will help you to save a lot of space on your computer. You can keep the photos that you love, without affecting the memory of your device. Compressing your photos is easy and it is possible to do it with the help of software that is already on your computer. The steps that we mentioned in this article can be followed by anyone. You don’t need advanced software or technical skills and thanks to photo compression, you will be able to share your images in an easy way, while freeing up space on your computer.