How to Check If Csrss.exe Process Is Legitimate?
Client Service Runtime Process more commonly known as Csrss.exe is one of the most important processes which runs in Windows Operating Systems. It is legitimate and genuine and it could be found in C:\Windows\System32\. You would also often find this process running in your Task Manager.
Csrss.exe differ in roles depending on the version of Windows you have. Example, it could function as a shutdown process. Though this is the case, no matter what the role Csrss.exe has on your computer, it is still a very important Windows Operating System process. Keep in mind, however, since it is crucial process, it is not surprising for cyber criminals to use it as a disguise for their own malicious gain. In fact, sometimes, it could cause false positive virus scan results. Hence, anti-virus programs would detect this legitimate process as dangerous and malicious.
Distinguishing whether the process is legitimate or not is a difficult and confusing task. There could be just a missing character or it has too many. It could also be that the file could be located in a different directory other than “C:\Windows\System32\”. For you to check, if the process which is running on your system is malicious, right click on he process on your Task Manager and select the open file location option from the drop down menu. If the file location is correct, then, you do not need to worry as it would be legitimate and not malicious at all.
If you think that the process might seem to be malicious, it is recommended for you to remove it immediately. The reason behind this is because it might be a Trojan which could infect your computer and steal your personal information such as your banking details.
If you think that your computer is infected, we recommend for you to run a virus scan with anti-virus and anti-spyware.
Examples of Legitimate Processes Used as Malware Disguises
Here are some of the examples of other false positive detections:
How Did Csrss.exe Infiltrate My Computer?
There are many different ways on how your computer could get infected and some of them are through span campaigns, fake software updaters, unofficial software, download sources, trojans, attachments and even through software cracking tools. These could also infect systems through software bugs, peer-to-peer networks, unofficial websites, freeware and free file hosting.
How to Avoid Installation of Malware?
- Ensure you read and study the emails that you receive, if there is a suspicious attachment of website link, do not open it.
- ignore irrelevant and unknown, suspicious address
- Download software from official and trustworthy websites only
- Avoid peer-to-peer networks, third party downloaders and unofficial/dubious websites
- Keep in mind that software cracking is illegal and could cause high risk virus infection.
- Install a reliable anti-spyware or anti-virus software
Instant Automatic Mac Malware Removal
Manually removal of threat could be very complicated and more often than not, it would require computer skills which is why, it is more recommended for you to use a professional automatic malware removal tool like Combo Cleaner.
How to Remove Malware Manually?
- Download Autoruns
- Start your computer and put it into a safe mode
- Click start and then shut down
- Click restart
- Click ok
- Press F8 key multiple times until you see Windows Advanced Option menu
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list
- Go to Windows 8 Start Screen
- Type Advanced
- Select Settings
- Click Advanced startup otpions
- Select Advanced startup
- Click restart button
- In the Advanced Startup option, click troubleshoot
- Click Advanced options
- Click Startup settings
- Click restart button
- Press F5 to boot in safe mode with networking
- Click on the Windows logo
- Select power icon
- Click restart while holding shift button on your keyboard
- Click Troubleshoot
- Select Advanced options
- Select Startup settings
- Click restart button
- Click F5 button on your keyboard
- Extract the download archive and run Autoruns.exe file
- In the Autoruns application, click options and uncheck hide empty locations and hide windows entries option
- Click on refresh icon
- Check the list provided by Autoruns application and locate the malware filename you would wish to delete
- Write the full path name
- Right click on the name and select delete
- Search for the malware name on your computer and remove them
- Reboot your computer in normal mode
What is Csrss.exe? Is it malicious
As mentioned earlier, Csrss.exe is a legitimate important process which runs on Windows Operating Systems. It could be seen on your Windows Task Manager. Unfortunately, there are malware that uses it to hide its process from users.
My computer is infected with csrss.exe malware, should I format my storage device to get rid to it?
No, it is not necessary for malware removal.
What are the biggest issues that Csrss.exe malware could cause?
It could decrease your system’s performance, lead to permanent data loss, hardware damage, severe privacy issues, financial losses and identity theft.
What is the purpose of Csrss.exe malware?
They use it to generate revenue.
How did Csrss.exe malware infiltrate my computer?
It could infiltrate your computer through spam emails, messages, downloads, online scams, illegal program activation tools and fake updates.
Will Combo Cleaner protect me from malware?
Yes, Combo Cleaner could detect and remove malware infections.