RAR files are often protected using a password and things can get complicated if you have forgotten that password. The good news is that there is a way to extract a password protected RAR file, even if you don’t remember the password. Although the steps that we will follow are likely to help in case you don’t have the password for the RAR file, it should be noted that there is no guarantee that it will work in every case. Still, it is the best option and it is worth giving it a try.
How to extract a password protected RAR file when you don’t have the password
- The first step is to download RAR password unlocker tool, a free solution from MediaFire that can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/upg39prr1kdz6gz/RAR+Password+unlocker+full+version.zip
- Once you have installed the unlocker software, you just need to click Open.
- In the pop-up dialog, you can look for the password protected RAR file. Then click Open.
- In the recovery section, you need to select Dictionary Attack and then click the start button that is located at the top. Keep in mind that this option works only when the password is a word in English that can be found in the dictionary.
- If this recovery solution fails, you can select brute force attack under recovery options. Click start again to begin the recovery process. Keep in mind that this option can take longer and the time will depend on how long and difficult the password is.
Select the right recovery option
In the Recovery tab of the RAR Password Unlocker Tool, you will find three different recovery options. Below you will find an explanation of each one of them.
This option tries all the English words in the dictionary in an attempt to find the password. It only works if the file is protected using a word in English as the password.
Brute-force attack is the slowest solution because it attempts all the possible combinations of characters. In order to get results faster, powerful computers are required. Brute-force should only be used after trying the dictionary attack.
Brute-force with Mask Attack
This option works if you have an idea of what the password might be or know something about it, such as its length, set of characters, prefix or other details. Brute-force with mask attack can be selected under recovery options. In the brute-force tab, you will need to enter as much information as you know about the password.
Alternative RAR Password Recovery Solutions
If the RAR Password Unlocker Tool is not able to help you to get back the password, there are other options that you may consider. Below you will find a list of software that can help you to crack the password.
RAR Password Unlocker is a high quality and effective solution. It works not only for RAR but for other formats and types of data. The software offers convenient features like multicore CPU/GPU acceleration, efficient recovery, option to search encrypted files and it includes technical support. The standard version is available for $19.95.
RAR Password Refixer is a software created by iSumsoft and it is a practical option to recover the password to extract your RAR files. It offers a good set of functions, including autosave and smart attack. The password recovery software adjusts to each file format. It is available from $19.95.
This password recovery software is recognized as an effective and well-established solution. It supports a great selection of features and it is an option that can be used with multiple password protected files. Government organizations, authorities and more, rely on Passware kit, which shows how efficient it is. One of its features allows you to delegate the password extraction process across multiple computers to accelerate the recovery. At $195, Password Kit Pro is considerably more expensive than other options but if you are looking for professional, effective software, it is an investment worth making.