How to fix: Bluetooth devices not connecting to macOS
Experiencing difficulties while trying to connect a Bluetooth device to a Mac computer is not an uncommon occurrence. Many users have come across issues when they try to pair their Bluettoth device such as a keyboard or mouse to a Mac. You may get an error message letting you know that the device can’t connect, or you may see that under the menu bar in MAc, Bluetooth icon, the device appears as connected, when in reality, it is not working as it should. If the mouse, the keyboard or any other Bluetooth device that you are trying to connect to your Mac is not responding, you can try the below solutions.
What causes the issue?
It is likely that the issue is caused by a software update. If you are using MagicPrefs app, you can remove it or uninstall it as this can help to resolve the connectivity problem.
- After closing or exiting the MagicPrefs app, drag the MagicPrefs.app from /Application/folder to the Trash.
- Open the Preference panel. Right click on Magic Prefs and select “Remove MagicPrefs Preference Panel”. The same can be done for the Magic Menu item in the Preferences panel.
You may also do the following:
- Go to HD/Library/Preferences and delete.com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file
- Click the Bluetooth icon in Mac menu bar and select the option that says “Turn off Bluetooth”. This will disable Bluetooth on Mac.
- Unplug all in-put based USB devices such as mouse or keyboard. Then, shut down the Mac. Keep in mind that a restart won’t help in this case.
- After switching off all Bluetooth devices, switch on the computer. Then you can switch on the devices.
- You can now try to pair the Bluetooth device by pressing the Bluetooth icon in the Menu bar. You can set up Bluetooth device, select Bluetooth device and the follow the on-screen instructions. For instance, if you want to connect Bluetooth keyboard, press the Enter/return button multiple times, after you have entered the passphrase that appears on the Mac screen.
- The issue should be fixed now. Try to connect your Bluetooth devices to your Mac.