How to Scan WiFi Networks for Hidden Cameras the Easy Way
There are times when we feel unsafe and paranoid especially in places we do not know. We often want to know if there are hidden cameras that would violate our privacy. Do not worry as through this article, we shall provide you tips on how to protect your privacy. With knowledge for sure, you will be able to get back the power of feeling safe and in control again.
How to Scan WiFi Networks for Hidden Cameras
There are different ways as to how to detect hidden cameras and one way is through detecting camera signals which often times use WiFi network. Hence, using your phone is very useful in this case as you will be able to scan your phone. If you do not know how, read further and find out how to do it.
How to Detect Hidden Cameras with Mobile Phones
Mobile phones are usually with us all the time which make them very handy and convenient to use. In fact, through it, you will be able to quickly scan the premises you are in if it has cameras or listening devices. All you have to do is to download and detect a hidden camera app such as Hidden Camera Detector. Just go to your Play Store and search for it. Then, install it and allow access rights and go ahead check the premises for hidden cameras and listening devices.
There are four options in this app, the first one is detect camera by radiation meter. This option would work through the detection of radio frequencies, radiation and signals which could be found on phones, wireless hidden cameras and listening devices.
- At any part of the room, move your phone around the area to scan the area for any signal.
- Keep in mind that your phone must get pretty close to detect any signal. Hence, it is better for you to move it up and down to scan the room. Move it in a clockwise direction.
- Focus on spots such as mantle pieces, bookcases, pot plants and ornaments, TV stands, pictures and paintings, tables and chairs and lights or other mounted fixtures.
- Check the meter and slow down whenever you get a number that goes higher or when you hear any beeping noises.
- Do a full sweep on the room before you leave and go to the next one.
The second option is through detecting infrared sensors.
- Select the option
- Turn the light in the room and look around
- Turn the light off and look around the room again
- Check if you see any white lights.
- Your phone would detect if there are any infrared output
- Go and inspect the area with white light
The third option is tips and tricks option which will provide you information on how to look for hidden devices and what to look for.
How to Do an NMap Scan for Hidden Cameras
Software, NMap is another great tool which you could use for scanning WiFi networks. Not only that, it could also detect open ports and other devices. This software is considered as one of the best hidden camera detector applications. What is more amazing about this software is that it is not complicated nor too technical for you to use it.
- Visit NMap’s webiste
- Download it and install it
- Create a shortcut on your desktop and run the application
- You will need to know your IP address
- If you do not know what your IP address is, go to WhatIsMyIP.com
- With Zenmap opened, type your IP address to the target field
- Do a full scan of your network and click scan
Wait for the scan to be down. You will find a lot of lines with complex codes. Do not worry you would not need to remember anything about it. Go to the NMap Output tab and click on Ports/Hosts tab. You will be able to to see the kind of IP security or hidden camera connected to your network. Go through the list of connected devices and check the version column. Look for Camera, IP camera, cam, etc.
How to Detect Hidden Cameras and Listening Devices Manually
- Learn about the different types of listening devices, hidden cameras, bugs, etc.
- Use flashlight to check the spots that are difficult to reach
- Make a mental note to all the possible hiding spots for cameras and listening devices.