How to Install and Play Minecraft on Chromebook
Minecraft is one of the most popular and mostly played games. It is under the theme or genre called sandbox games wherein players are allowed to create, modify and destroy their environment in the game.
With its popularity, Minecraft eventually expanded and developed for multiple platforms such as macOS, Windows, Android, Linux, iOS and many more. Unfortunately, even with all these years, this game has not been developed for Chrome OS. Though this is the case, you do not have to worry as Chrome OS comes with Linux support. In other words, you could still install and play Minecraft on your Chromebook without much hassles and troubles.
Installing and playing Minecraft on Chromebook
Before we go into details of this guide, we would like to clarify that you could run Minecraft on Chromebook without you having to move into Developer mode and/or install Crouton. Since Google has improved Linux on Chrome OS, it has become a very stable channel. In fact, Google has brought GPU acceleration to stable channel which makes your game smoother.
Also, the mouse-capture bug on Minecraft is almost solved and it has become more responsive. Furthermore, it also allows you now to increase your mouse sensitivity according to your preference.
With all that, we shall now move on to the guideline on how to install and play Minecraft on your Chromebook.
- Set up Linux on your Chromebook
- Download Minecraft.deb file (Debian/Ubuntu) from https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/alternative
- Move the file to Linux section – Files app.
- Double click on downloaded file
- Click install button. This will install your Minecraft on your Chromebook.
- Access Minecraft by opening the App Drawer and navigating Linux folder. You will find Minecraft Launcher. Open it.
- Log into your Minecraft account
- Download the latest release
- Install the update. The app will automatically close once it is down installing.
- Open the app again from the app drawer.
- Though this game runs okay with WASD keys control, the mouse sensitivity is a bit dodgy. Hence, to fix it, all you have to do is go to Options. Then to mouse settings and change sensitivity to hyperspeed.
- You could now play and enjoy Minecraft on your Chromebook without any jitters.
- If you encounter any installation error, all you have to do is open terminal app from the app drawer.
- Run Linux commands one by one to be able to install the Java Development Kit.
- Enter Y to continue the installation
- Install Minecraft.deb file from the Files app.
Through our guide above, we hope we were able to help you learn how to install and play one of the most popular games, Minecraft on your Chromebook.
With the improved Linux, you could now experience a much enhanced Linux apps and Chrome OS games and what is more impressive with this is you do not have to tweak or make any changes on your Chromebook as everything depends on your Linux system. So what are you waiting for? Follow the steps featured in this article and start playing and enjoy Minecraft on your Chromebook.