How to unlock Moto G Bootloader in just one minute
Moto G is a very practical device that features a high definition 4.5” display, quad-core processor and a battery life that lasts all day long. However, in order to get the most out of it, you need to unlock the bootloader of the Moto G. If you don’t have previous experience with the process of rooting an Android device, custom ROMs and similar options, you will probably not be familiar with the term bootloader. This refers to a particular code that is executed before any operating system starts running and it is possible to apply it to a wide variety of devices including smartphones, tablets and laptops.
The code comes with all the instructions to boot the operating system kernel, but that doesn’t mean that this is the same case for all devices. While the latest iOS devices have similar hardware characteristics and their bootloaders are not very different, every manufacturer has its own version of bootloader, which is specifically created for the hardware that you can find in their products. When you unlock the bootloader you will be able to optimize the performance and enjoy a personalized experience with your Motorola Moto G, although there are a few things that you need to consider.
Keeping in mind the possible risks is crucial. It is possible that you lose encryption support and many crucial features including audio playback. In addition, there is a big chance that you lose all media on your device including SMS, MMS messages and contacts. There are some applications that may not work and some functions and features may be disabled. It is also important to keep in mind that once you get the unlock code, the warranty of your Moto Go will be voided, unless you have a Developer Edition device. The process of unlocking the bootloader won’t change the device subsidy lock status.
It is up to you to decide if you are willing to take the risk and we advise you to make sure that you know what you are doing before proceeding. Any damage on your device would only be your responsibility so please be very careful when completing the process. If you decide to go ahead and unlocking the bootloader, you need to complete the below preliminary steps:
Check if you have the correct model number. To verify this, go to the Settings menu, then in the About Device section, look for XT1033/XT1032. You will see many other devices included in the Boot Unlock program including MOTO X, ATRIX HD and DROID MAXX. As we previously mentioned, every manufacturer has different bootloader for their devices so it is important to keep that in mind. This guide is focused on Motorola Moto G XT1033/XT1032 and there are a few things that you need to do before the process itself.
Perform a full backup of the data that you need. This is very important because the process will delete all the data on the device.
You also need to check if you have the right driver installed on your Windows computer and please remember to prepare the original USB cable for connecting the computer to your Moto G.
Make sure that the device has at least 50% of battery. If the device is not charged, it could shut down during the unlocking process, which could result in irreversible damage.
You also need to download Fastboot and ADB zip files
How to unblock Bootloader of Moto G
- Enable developer options to get the device ready for the process. To do this, you need to go to Settings, then select About phone and tap on Build number seven times
- Enable USB Debugging. Plug the device to your computer using the original USB cable and if you see a pop-up screen on your Moto G, asking you to allow USB Debugging for the computer, select OK.
- Switch off the device and put it in fastboot mode. You just need to hold down the Volume and Power buttons at the same time.
- Remove the installer file that you previously downloaded in a new folder. You’ll get the following files:
- In the same folder, you need to hold down Shift Key and click the right mouse button on an empty spot. Click on Open Command window
- Type “fastboot oem get_unlock_data” in the command window. Then you get the bootloader code:(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
- Go to the Motorola site to register. Copy the lines without the (bootloader) part and paste them in the box that says “Can my device be unlocked?”
- Click the button that says “Can my device be unlocked?” and select the “I agree” button. You will get an email with an alpha numeric code that has 20 characters. It is the code that you need to unlock the bootloader of your Moto G.
- Type “Replace
with the code that you received via email. That is all, the bootloader should now be unlocked and your Moto Go will reboot automatically.