When CM12 was originally released for Verizon HTC Droid DNA, the stability of the firmware was not good enough for using it on a daily basis. However, xda-developers worked to offer CyanogenMod custom ROM, a reliable Android Lollipop firmware that runs smoothly and that can support the HTC Droid DNA effortlessly. You can easily update your Verizon HTC Droid DNA with CM 12, although you need to be careful when doing it. Since there is no official process, you will need to follow a manual flashing process since CM12 can’t be OTA installed. This is due to the fact that CM12 is a custom ROM that is based only on stock Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS. The ROM is not supported by HTC or Verizon, meaning that you won’t find and OTA release.
Given that the update is not official, if you device to update the HTC Droid DNA with CM12, you will have to keep in mind that this will void the device’s warranty. If something goes wrong, you won’t be able to restore the phone back to Verizon. It is important to keep in mind the risk involved and to be aware that you may end up damaging the Android device if you make a mistake. As previously mentioned, this version of Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware offers good stability and it can be used on a daily basis. Users who have already flashed CM12 have reported that the ROM runs smoothly on the Verizon HTC Droid DNA. You won’t come across bugs or other issues related to the software and all the CyanogenMod features work without additional issues.
It is possible to adjust the features on your smartphone in order to improve its overall performance. Once you add CM12, you will be able to customize the Lollipop experience, enjoy better battery life and boost the speeds on HTC Droid DNA. In order to be able to install CM12 on your Droid DNA, you need to root the phone first. Root access is required because a custom ROM can only be updated on an unchained Android system. The CM12 is available as a .zip package and it is only possible to install the file by using a custom recovery image. You need to install an option such as TWRP or CWM on your device before you can try the CyanogenMod platform. Make sure that you don’t overlook these processes since they will allow you to get your phone ready for the update process.
Make sure that you backup your data before you get started since all the files stored on the internal storage of the Droid DNA will be wiped out eventually, since a wipe is done during the update process. Use a backup and restore software to save everything that matters to your, including personal files and your current ROM as well. After all, it is possible that you don’t like CM12 and decide that you want to get back your old Android OS on the DNA device. You need to have a computer since you will have to download some files.
In addition, you will have to use your phone and its USB cable. Before getting started with the update operation, search for security programs on the computer. Then, deactivate the security protection temporarily. Otherwise, you may have different issues with anti-virus programs and other security tools. Enable USB debugging on the phone, you can find this option from path “menu -> settings -> developer options”. Then charge your handset prior to completing other steps and follow the below process to install CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS only, if you have the Verizon HTC Droid DNA. Keep in mind that this guide is only suitable for that device.
How to update Verizon HTC Droid DNA to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with CM12 custom ROM firmware
- Go to https://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-dna/development/5-0-lollipop-unofficial-cm12-droid-dna-t2954727 to download the files required, including the update package and the Google Apps package.
- Save these files on your computer and then connect your smartphone to your computer
- Install the update file and Google Apps package on your phone and then remove the USB connection.
- Disable your device and enter your HTC Droid DNA in recovery mode. In the recovery environment, select wipe data factory reset. Then select “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then, from main menu of recovery, select “install zip from SD card” and then “choose zip from SD card”
- Choose the CM12 file and install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS on your Verizon HTC Droid DNA.
- Repeat the last step and add Google Apps package on your device and allow some time until the process is completed. Then reboot your smartphone.
Repeat that step and add Google Apps package on your smartphone.