What is amazing about technology is that some devices could be transformed or could be connected to another device. In this article, we shall provide you ways and methods on how to convert your monitor into a TV or smart TV. You could also use your TV as computer monitor as well. If you wish to learn these tips and tricks, read further to learn more information.
In this article, we shall provide you useful information on how to do this through HDMI cables.
How to Use Monitor as TV with HDMI Input and Audio Output Port
TV monitors especially the modern ones usually come with HDMI port which works as input and with audio out port which is the head phone jack. These ports usually work to connect external speakers. The good news is you could use this port to transform your monitor to TV or Smart TV. All you have to do is to plug your HDMI input of your devices.
Furthermore, you could also connect your DTH set top box, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Android box and laptop as well.
Monitor with VGA Port but No speakers
There are some monitors and mostly projectors especially older models do not have audio out feature which means they only have VGA port only. If this is your case, do not worry as you would still use these types of monitors as your TV. All you need to do is to have two types of adapters which you could easily find everywhere. You would need HDMI to HDMI female adapter and HDMI to VGA adapter with audio out jack.
Steps in Connecting Chromecast to Monitor
- Connect your Chromecast to HDMI female to female adapter
- Connect the other side of female HDMI port to HDMI to VGA adapter
- HDMI to VGA adapter – connect your monitor through the use of a VGA cable
- Connect your speakers to audio out port of your HDMI to VGA connector
- Connect your micro USB charger to Chromecast for power
- Switch your Chromecast on
Monitor and Projector with HDMI or DVI Port Only
Now, if your monitor/projector has HDMI port or DVI port only, then, you would not have any audio out signal which means, you will have to get additional HDMI to HDMI adapter with audio out. Unfortunately, this would cost you a bit more. Hence, there is another option and that is by getting a DTH set top box, laptop or android box which more than often than not, comes with HDMI out port. For example laptops have headphone jack with HDMI or DTH STB have AV connector with HDMI, so on and so forth.
How to Connect DTH Set Top Box to Monitor
Using HDMI Port
- Connect HDMI to HDMI cable with set top box to monitor
- Connect sound bar/home theatre or device using optical out port
- If your speakers have RCA sound input, use male RCA to RCA cable
- If you have headphone female jack use RCA to male headphone jack cable to connect
Steps for Connecting DTH Box with Monitor Using DVI Port
- Connect DTH set top box with monitor through the use of HDMI to DVI cable
- Connect sound bar/home theatre to device using optical out port
- Connect speaker through male RCA to RCA cable
- Or you could use RCA to male headphone jack cable