In this era of technology, gone are the days when you have to spend a fortune to catch up with family and friends and with the innovation of messaging apps, communication is now easier, cheaper and more convenient.
These messaging apps have quickly gained popularity not only with kids, teenagers but also with parents. Aside from that with the numerous features that have been introduced and incorporated, businesses and corporations have also started using these kinds of app as part of their communication tools.
Through the use of messaging apps, one could chat, audio call, video call family and friends. Aside from that you could also communicate with your love ones who are living abroad and do business international calls (video and audio) without having to spend a lot.
Kik vs WhatsApp comparison
One of the most popular messaging apps which is widely used worldwide is WhatsApp. Though this app has successfully gained millions of users and has penetrated the instant messaging world, another instant messaging app is quickly raising up the popularity ladder and is starting to give WhatsApp a good competition. This messaging app is known as Kik. Through this article, we shall compare these two instant messaging apps and see which one is better.
Kik vs WhatsApp Security
One of the most important concerns when it comes to communicating online is privacy and security. Often times when we chat with our friends and family, we send private personal information, videos, pictures and sometimes we even send sensitive data such as banking details, address, phone numbers and many more. This could cause a lot of worry especially when you are not sure if your messages are secured. You could be wondering if your personal messages and sensitive information are not being accessed by other entities or other people who have malicious intent.
The good thing is instant messengers now offer a lot of security features which protects all of your data. WhatsApp, for one uses an end-to-end encryption. This security feature ensures all of their users that all messages transferred from sender to receiver could never be accessed by any third/middle entity between the sender and receiver.
Kik messenger on the other hand, does not have an end-to-end encryption feature which means there is a possibility and a chance for someone to access and hack Kik messenger. Though this is the case, you could be assured that this messaging app deletes all the messages from their servers. The only downside of Kik is that all the users of this app are anonymous which means there is a risk for kids and teenager users.
Verdict: in terms of security, we could say Kik has more work to do and has to put more effort in ensuring their users in this aspect. Compared to WhatsApp, Kik will need to level up their security features.
Kik vs WhatsApp Comparison – Main Difference
Another important factor when considering which instant messenger to use is its features. This is what sets one apart from another.
With WhatsApp and Kik, the major difference is that with WhatsApp, you would need to use a valid phone number for registration. In other words, this means you will only be able to chat and communicate with your friends through their phone numbers only.
However, with Kik, you will be able to chat and communicate with anyone through using a unique username. Hence, if you do not have a mobile number, you do not have to worry as this is not required for you to be able to use Kik.
As mentioned earlier, this is one of the most important factors you will need to check when choosing an instant messenger.
WhatsApp has the following features:
- Free of charge- with WhatsApp, communication is affordable and cheaper. All you need is an internet connection/mobile data connection and you will be able to chat and call anyone around the world for free as long as the one you are communicating with is also using WhatsApp.
- It is the most popular instant messenger- this means, you will not have a hard time communicating with anyone as most probably the one you need to contact uses WhatsApp.
- Has the ability to text, send photos, documents, video and audio calls – With WhatsApp, you could chat individually and in groups as well. You could also send pictures and videos to anyone who is on WhatsApp. It enables you to make audio calls and even video calls without spending a fortune.
- Share location – this is very convenient especially when you are meeting someone and the person you are meeting does not know the location or place you will meet at. All you need to do is share your location and they could follow you through the use of your Google Maps.
- End-to-end encryption – if you are highly concerned about your privacy and security online, you do not have to worry about this when you are using WhatsApp. This app ensures that all your messages are encrypted and no third party could access or read them.
- Send other things aside from text messages – With Kik, like its alternatives, not only you could send chat text messages but you could also send other cool stuff such as sketches, images, emojis, doodles and many more.
- You could make the interface of your chat cooler – you will be able to customize and change your chats with different colors.
- It has Promoted Chats – this feature has the ability to display chats that has common discussion and interesting general topics.
- Its conversation tab has a globe icon- this feature allows you to go to Kik browser easily.
- Kik users have their own distinct QR code – this could only be accessed on your settings. You could add another user by using his or her code. All you need to do is tap and search icon and select Find People.
Conclusion- Which one is the best?
Both WhatsApp and Kik are very good messengers with amazing features. However, if you are highly concerned about privacy and security and safety of your kids and teens, we highly recommend WhatsApp. As mentioned earlier, WhatsApp uses end-to-end encryption which ensures maximum online security. While with Kik, you will need to be careful with your kids/teens using it as they could chat with total strangers. With all of these considered, it will be up to you which instant messenger app would suit you the best.